Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 14 of 14

Thread: Post war Eckmiller items

  1. #11
    Inactive Member tom1356's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2008
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have them on open baffles at the moment and they are just amazing. I removed the rear plates and they sound better for it.
    14
    15

  2. #12
    Inactive Member eisbär's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 9th, 2006
    Posts
    39
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Tom,
    so you've got them - congrats! Welcome here and thanks for showing them to us.

    Please allow me to give you a warning first: The perforated covers were installed to dampen the driver around it's resonance frequency. So they 've got a protective function. I'm not the expert to predict wether removing them can cause severe damages or not; in particular not when the driver is installed in an open baffle.

    May I ask: Did you always intend to use them in an OB design? Somewhere on the web I found the original cabinet for these - unfortunately I didn't store the link. If you'd like to get the dimensions I'm gonna search again. I just remember they were quite large. Maybe not as big as an Altec 620 but nothing to hide easily. But so you don't want to do with your OB's and therefore I don't think that's an issue for you.

    However, If your're happy with them now just leave them as they are. They're looking great!!! And I surely do believe they've got all the qualities we associate with a good point source driver.

    If you click on the

    Eckmiller O15 (Funkschau Vol. 1/2 1944)

    button and then on pictures (blue) in the Klangfilm link I gave in my previous post you find the specs and some pics of the original wartime Eckmiller speaker (in English) - sorry hostboard doesn't accept the direct link, dont konw why, says something about parantheses.

    And if some of you folks wonder about those stereo recordings mentioned to be made already in wartime: Yes that's true. And the tapes survived the war! I've read the recordings have been issued in the meantime but I don't know what was recorded nor wether they are still available.

    Enjoy your Speakers! They're harder to find than most Altecs - even here in Germany.
    Ralph

  3. #13
    Inactive Member tom1356's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2008
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hello Ralph,
    Thanks for all the information. I don't drive them hard at all so I am not worried about overdriving them without the screens.
    Would you know how the cone comes out? Specifically removing the tweeter.
    One of them has metal particles in the woofer gap.
    They are causing the cone to distort. It was intermittent at first but now it is almost all the time. I have stopped using it till I can repair it.
    Thanks
    Tom

  4. #14
    Inactive Member tom1356's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 29th, 2008
    Posts
    5
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Ralph,
    I always test new drivers on the open baffle to get a flavor for them. I would love any information on the cabinets or the drivers you could supply.
    I'm not worried about large cabinets. These replaced Altec 820's.
    16
    17

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ April 21, 2008 09:36 PM: Message edited by: tom1356 ]</font>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.